by Roger Gilmore
Firstly I've prepared this page how to grill hamburgers with some tips of my own together with two great recipes from our site readers so this should give you a great start in the burger making steaks.
I'm going to focus on the cooking rather than the preparation
and there's really six key points that you need to know about:-
- Try and get freshly ground meat.
- Brush or spray your grill grate with oil prior to cooking to minimise the chance of anything sticking
- Place your burger on the grill and don't be tempted to turn them all the time as this will only increase the risk of breakup.
- Don't use your spatula to press down on the patty whilst it is cooking - all this does is queeze out the moisture and flavor
- Just because the meat inside looks brown, it doesn't mean that it is cooked. Check for a temperature of 160°F or 71.1°C using an instant read barbecue thermometer
- When done, take your burgers off the grill and allow them to site for 5 minutes before serving up. It helps seal in the juices.
Follow those guidelines and you're halfway there. The other half of how to grill hamburgers? Well that's in the recipes so now I'm going to hand over to Roger and then to another guy called Paul.
Like so many others, I live to grill! Quite often, that means cooking burgers on the grill. I've tried many different recipes and in the end I opted for the same philosophy as here...keep it simple and use what tastes good to you. Here is my recipe for great grilled hamburgers:
- 1 1/2 pd. ground chuck
- 4 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
Put all the ingredients into a bowl and hand mix them together. Take as much meat as you want for a single burger and form into a patty. Put a little dent in the middle to help keep it stay flat and not bulge up in the middle as it cooks. Top it off with your favorite cheese (I like "Gruyere") and any other toppings and you have a great burger!
Paul's recipe is below but before that you might want to check out these other links:-Preparation For Barbecue Hamburger RecipesMore Grilled Hamburger RecipesBarbecue Grill Comparisons