Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans
This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own.
This is my standard recipe for baked beans whenever I make them. Serves:-
12 peoplePreparation Time:-
30 minutesCooking Time:-
1 hourTotal Time:-
1 hour 30 minutes
- 3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
- 1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
- 1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
- 1 can apple pie filling or peach pie filling
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
- 1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
- 1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite rub)
Brown the bacon in a large pan or Dutch oven and when done remove the bacon from the pan.
Now and sauté the onion and green pepper in bacon grease for about 5 minutes until they start to soften and the onion turns translucent.
Mix in remaining ingredients and remove from the direct heat. Bake in the oven at 325ºF or 160ºC for 1 hour.
If you haven't got the time then revert back to the stove top and simmer for 30 minutes.
*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.
Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
That sounds like a recipe that I need to try. Certainly the apple pie baked beans recipe has been around for a while but yeah, I have to agree with you that there's enough of your own stamp on this one to claim it as yours.
See Also:-The Easy Barbecue Baked Beans RecipesJohn Roemer's Baked Beans RecipeGo To Water Smoker Recipes From Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans